You only say that cause no one ever has...

You only say that cause no one ever has...

Friday, September 10, 2010

Young adult? Are you kidding?

Hi, I'm a 31 year old mother of 3 girls and I read young adult fiction. There, I said it. Laugh, scoff, and snort if you must but I have my reasons.

Okay. So why do I read the books that I read?

First and foremost - Have you read it lately?? There are a LOT of really good books labeled young adult. The emotions that the characters are dealing with are intense and the authors don't hold back. These books may be geared towards teenagers but they resonate with a wider age group. Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins, (in fact the whole Hunger Games trilogy) was completely gut wrenching. There is really no other way to describe it. I truly felt like my heart was being torn out of my chest and stomped on (in a good way). I read this book in 6 hours. I couldn't put it down. Everything Katniss went through in the previous books and to have even more hurt her? To have her whole world turned upside down and ripped apart and still be as strong as she needed to be? I would pray that I could be half as strong as her. She had moments of weakness and depression but is there anyone who could go through all she did and not fall apart a few times? There is not much else I can say about this book except, if you haven't read it yet go NOW and get the series! I mean it! Stop reading my blog and go read it.

Second - I'm not a prude but it is really refreshing to read a book and not have to read a sex scene every few pages. Now, don't get me wrong. I am all for some hot and heavy scenes but not in every book and not every chapter. This is not to say that EVERY young adult book is innocent and EVERY "adult" book is full of gratuitous sex. There have been many, and I mean many, young adult books that have some HOT scenes. There is a difference though. The "adult" fiction books tends to be more descriptive which as an adult and having experienced it I don't need it spelled out for me. Leave it to my imagination. I can piece it together. The Vampire Academy books by Richelle Mead comes to mind. If I remember correctly there is only one actual sex scene but there are many implied scenes but the sensuality that flows through the entire series tends to make me think cold showers are a good thing. ;)

Third - The romance. I read plenty of "adult" books in conjunction to my young adult books and a good majority of them have romance. I have to say though that the difference tends to be that "first love". I am a sucker for it. Who can't remember that feeling. You know it. The first time you truly felt you heart would stop and the world would end if you weren't with that ONE person. It's sweet and innocent and intense. You root for it I have noticed in many "adult" books the main character is jaded. She's been in love and lost it. She tends to hold back; not willing to give her entire self over. Teen characters who are feeling it for the first time are enthusiastic and if the author is a good storyteller you feel it and it's like experiencing that rush all over again. I love Sarah Dessen books for when I need that feeling. Her characters are very real to me and always going through difficulties in their lives. Some are the same issues I remember dealing with when I was 16 and some I have never had to deal with and pray that my daughters will never have to. The love isn't easy and it doesn't automatically fix everything which I appreciate. It's truthful.

Fourth - They are FUN! They have love, death, first kisses, rip-roaring adventure, vampires, werewolves, zombies, unicorns, pirates, magic, angels, demons, warlocks, fairies, and everything else you remember from childhood. When I want to go on a trip from my youthful imagination I can count on these books. Now, that's not to say I can't go on a great adventure with an "adult" book ( hello? Outlander? Earth's Children? The Stand? Just to name a few) but I always get the feeling that they are taking themselves maybe a little too serious. It's one of the reasons I love Cassandra Clare's books. They are witty, intelligent, and the characters are snarky and sarcastic. There is enough of a pop culture feeling to them but nothing so specific that will make them feel dated anytime soon. Her latest book is Clockwork Angel. It's a steampunk fantasy set in Victorian London. The characters are well developed; there are enough twists to keep you guessing and just the right amount of romance. This was another book I couldn't put down. It's killing me that the next book in the series doesn't come out for a year. I have a thousand theories and want to know the truth. Oh and I am totally team Will! ;)

Will I give up "adult" books? No. Will I stop reading young adult? Heck no! I don't like that they have to qualify them with those terms. They are books, nothing more and nothing less. They take me on a journey and like all books some are good, some are ok, some are horrid, and some...some are amazing and will stay with me for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Hey - I happened across blogging giveaway thisweekend, and a lot of it has to do with books - blogfest - and I remember seeing the clockwork angel title. Now you have my interested! maybe I should go back and see if I can win it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! You can borrow my copy if you don't. I really enjoyed as you can tell. I actually have 2 copies right now because I bought Bri a copy and got it signed for her for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete