You only say that cause no one ever has...

You only say that cause no one ever has...

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Lesson Learned - I'm Not 18 Anymore

The temp was 65 degrees today so as a treat to my girls I decided we would go to the park. I love that being homeschoolers I can take advantage of this beautiful weather. Instead of going to our normal park we thought we would try out a different one with a bigger skateboard area. Our local one has a nice enough spot but this one offered more options.

Being the "cool" mom that I am, I also decided that I would grab my brother's board and give it a shot. Hey, I used to ride too!

My girls thought this was a pretty cool idea but insisted I grab the helmet too. Psshhhhaaa! In MY day we didn't wear stinkin helmets. Duh!! Only nerds wore those! But to be a "good" example, I sucked it up and grabbed it (remember this fact because it becomes important later).

Bri grabbed her gear and board, JJ got her bike, and Morgan chose to rollerblade (using MY rollerblades from my 16th birthday ;). We loaded up the car and headed out. It took us about 10 minutes to get there and we were pleasantly surprised to find no one else there.  The girls were thrilled, Bri especially as she hates to ride in front of other people.

JJ was the first out and riding since she didn't have any extra gear to put on besides her helmet. She took to the ramps and was flying. I helped Morgan get her blades on and then gave her some pointers about using them. Bri was still getting all her safety gear on. I slapped on the helmet and took off, getting my bearings. After a minute JJ started egging me on to try one of the smaller ramps. I took a look and decided it wasn't THAT big and hey I could go to the top and get a better feel for it.

I got to the top and looked down. And Down. And Down. (Ok, it wasn't really that high) Morgan and JJ were at this point both cheering me on. So I went for it. I figured I had done bigger ramps before, I could handle this, PLUS I had a helmet on. What was the worst that could happen?

Down I went and then "down" I went. I forgot some fundamental rules about skateboarding (don't lean forward). The board hit the bottom of the ramp and I went off. Luckily I did have the helmet on or I would have conked my noggin. In the end I wound up with a scraped and bruised arm, very bruised thumb, and soar hip. Not too bad considering.

Now the point about the helmet. The whole accident was my kids fault. IF they hadn't insisted I wear a helmet I would NEVER have attempted going down the ramp ;)

So new rule for 2012 - No more crashing.

No comments:

Post a Comment